Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Numb

I'm a little distraught this morning, and I have been for the past couple of days. One of the people I admire the most might be very sick. He's currently taking medical examinations to see if he has Lou Gehrig's disease. This is a terrible disease that causes the body to slowly lose all function in movement and soon breathing. The hardest part is the person is completely aware that all of this is happening since intelligence isn't affected. Once diagnosed half of the people die within 2-3 years.

http://www.alsa.org/

I have been pretty numb since I found out that he might have this disease. I thought I could cheer him up by getting him a "don't give up" card, but he was out again today. I'm really worried. He seems to have given up. Before I knew, I never noticed the constant phone calls causing him to leave class or sitting by himself during break times. I thought he was just getting ready for an opening or something or he was absent because of the commute.

I hope to have a follow up post exclaiming all the tests are negative. I really do hope.

2 comments:

E.A. said...

That person, whoever he is, will be in my prayers. What awful news.

Keep us informed!

Jeff Harris said...

I'll keep him in my prayers as well. I never wish any ill-will on anybody, and I hope that all testing proves negative.