Monday, October 10, 2005

Wallace and Gromit

A great and cute movie with classic wit and intelligence. I was so happy to hear that the movie made it to number one. Aardman deserved it, but they didn't deserve this :
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/10/aardman.fire/index.html

I consider Aardman's work high art and when something so amazing is destroyed. It just breaks my heart. Just like when Edvard Munch's "The Scream" was stolen and damaged, I just felt hopeless.

Thankfully nobody was hurt in the fire and Aardman will make new creations to fill up another warehouse, but I would have loved to have seen an Aardman museum of such wonderful creations.

3 comments:

E.A. said...

I thought it was cool for Nick Park to say that compared to what was happening in the Orient (earthquakes, mudslides, 20,000+ dead), that the fire wasn’t a big loss. Personally, I consider the Aardman fire to be a loss of profound significance, but Mr. Park does have a point.

We still might get our Aardman museum. I don’t think everything was destroyed--at least, I hope not.

Ellen Yu said...

It was really amazing what Nick Park said. I can imagine those sets were like children to him.

The current movie sets weren't destroyed, but everything else (Chicken Run, Wallace and Gromit shorts, Creature comforts...) were destroyed sadly.

But at least the shorts and animation are still available and preserved. This beautiful film called "The Adventures of Prince Achmed" by Lotte Reiniger original print was lost when the director had to flee from the Nazis. The less vibrant copies are available on dvd, but I would have loved to scene the original.

And of course the sad story of Richard Williams "The Thief and the Cobbler." They went overbudget so they took the film away and butchered it. Williams original workprint is considered lost. i really want to see this film in it's true form someday. Check out the card scene on this website. Simply amazing....those card were indivdually animated without CGI.

http://www.geocities.com/eddie_bowers/

E.A. said...

Great information on Bowers’s site. You know that Miramax’s gonna try their London best to hide that affair. I cannot blame Rich Williams one bit for not wanting anyone’s help (but those closest to him, of course) w/ his latest project. I wouldn’t, either, if I was screwed over from start to finish by the studio.